Well, she still does. It's not her fault. Her entire family are self diagnosers. When I was younger she had diagnosed me with anorexia nervosa, in its most severe form. I think I was in sixth grade when I realized the extent of her preoccupation with my weight. My parents were out of town and we were staying at my Grandma's house. She had made a delicious dinner of beef stroganoff, which to my recollection I had never eaten before. I was sitting next to my Grandma and noticed that every time I took a bite she smiled, and when I asked for seconds she looked like the cat that had eaten the canary. She could not hide her gloat. I finished my seconds as she exclaimed, "Natilie, I am just so proud of you." I expressed my puzzlement at that statement, and then much to my dismay she answered with this. "Your mother and I have just been so worried about your anorexia. It is good to see you finally eating." Imagine my astonishment when I was told what a life debilitating disease I had. I spent the next ten years of my life battling the label of a recovering anorexic. It became especially obnoxious during my eighteenth and nineteenth years. My mom tried to stage an intervention several times, especially during my engagement. I spent the bulk of my free time trying to convince her that I did indeed enjoy the occasional meal. This has nothing to do with anything, except that I am trying to share a really great recipe, which triggered a really weird memory. It will cure any imaginary disease your mother may inflict upon you. I only wish she would accuse me of it now.
Grandma's Beef Stroganoff
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onion
some mushrooms
1/2 tsp. Garlic Salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. beef bouillon
Saute first five ingredients in skillet until beef is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat. Combine next three ingredients; stir into meat mixture. Cook over low heat ten to fifteen minutes or until hot. Serve with noodles.
P.S. Whatever you do, do not mistake the 1/2 c. PREPARED bouillon, for 1/2 c. bouillon powder. It does not yield good results, does it Niki?
5 comments:
You are so funny! Thanks for the recipe. I am seriously going to try it. Love your blog.
I've inherited that little gem from mom. Drives Jesse nuts. I think you're still super skinny. :)
Really, anorexia. Huh! I never thought that. You are skinny. And thank you for sharing that tid-bit about the boullion. It would have been useful months ago.:)
I have not inherited that gem from our mother, I just worry and rush them to the doctor at every chance I get. Except when broken bones are involved...then I am just like mom.
I have not inherited that gem from our mother, I just worry and rush them to the doctor at every chance I get. Except when broken bones are involved...then I am just like mom.
Post a Comment