Thursday, March 13, 2008

Proud to be an American...

Forgive the horrible picture - the lighting at the school is horrendous and I don't know how to edit it, (Caroline - help!!!)  but we were treated to a patriotic masterpiece this evening.  Taylor and the fifth grade class put on the annual "Traveling Show" (no idea why it is called that) and it was stupendous.  If you can overlook the zombie eyes you will see my lovely daughter on the top row.  She had the second speaking part and it was rather large.  I was not privy to her role in the performance until that evening - I guess it was top secret - but she did quite well.  They sung several songs including the national anthem, "Proud to be an American," the armed forces theme songs, etc.  I will say that I became a little teary during portions of the program, especially when they had veterans stand up during their theme songs and the audience applauded them.  Beautiful.  So I am adding this to my "Thankful Thursday" post.  I am thankful that I got to watch Taylor perform and remind us of the greatness of this nation of which we are a part.  I am grateful for the founding fathers, every soldier who ever fought to keep us free or to protect our freedoms, and to Francis Scott Key for writing such an amazing song.  In my wildest dreams I would one day sing it at the opening of a major league baseball game right before the opening pitch.  That would be exhilarating.   For those of you wondering - No, I cannot sing, but I would love to learn.  It probably wouldn't help.  It would be more of a National Anthem karaoke gone very, very wrong - but still really amazing.  I know all the words by heart so I wouldn't have to look at the T.V., I could just concentrate on the song and the message.  Even if it was bad, I mean really bad, it wouldn't matter because I would probably never see those people again anyway and I would always have the story of the time I sang the national anthem at a baseball game.  Wow, what a dream!

1 comment:

haley said...

In responce to your comment, YES, oil cloth is a beast to work with. You can't iron it and your dog feet will protest with vengence! I've heard there is some sort of tape you can use along you seam that you can rip off afterwards and it is suppose to help with the dog feet, but I didn't use it. It turned out nice enough, though. I wish I were keeping it, but my habit calls for support... and working at the shop can only goes so far when you only work once a month. Off the subject, but I say we have a sewing Saturday. Leave the kids with the boys, pack up our machines and head to the quilt shop (I'm sure Suzanne would let us, as long as there is no class that day). What do you say? Sewing with nobody around to call you mom.... Oh, that's my idea of heaven!