Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Why don't you just gut me instead...

This blog is dedicated to all of the mothers who feel the need to invite every child who ever walked the face of the earth to their child's birthday party.  STOP IT!  We will not be offended if we do not get invited.  I promise, no offense will be taken.  The greater offense is that we now have to deal with a crying child if we say no, or chase all around town for that perfect gift for a kid we are not even sure who they are.   Or we spend days thinking "No, we don't know these people from Adam.  What if they are freaks, druggies, etc. (Usually not, but still),"  and then at the last minute that guilt sets in and we think, "What if no one shows up.  That would be horrible."  So, I fit into the last category.  I spent days avoiding it, and now I am caving.  I will go buy one more cheap/dumb gift for a kid I don't know just to keep mine from crying and myself from feeling guilty.  It is not even about the money (okay, sometimes it is), it is the principle of the matter.   Everyone DOES NOT always have to be included.  That is just so unrealistic.  Maybe, instead, just quietly invite a few kids - not the whole stinking kindergarten. Does anyone else think people who invite more than a normal amount of children to their kids parties are PRESENT WHORES?   It's either that or these people are so afraid of offending someone that they will spend a small fortune inviting the entire city to their party.  That's not a good idea either.   If a kid has never been to my house, nor mine to theirs, they are not invited - nor should mine be invited to theirs.  That, my friends, is my opinion.  And I am entitled to it.  Agree or disagree?

7 comments:

The Brooks Family said...

K, You're out of control! There are 3 new blogs between yesterday and today! I agree on the birthday thing! It's rediculous, and i dont even have kids doing parties! You're bread is beautiful, you're poem histerical, and you're girls must take after me! Tolerance is a virtue! P.S. You should be a writer.

Caroline said...

I agree. Does one not know how to stop. Maybe that's how people buy their kids presents (through the gracious act of others!) I don't even know how to throw a good party for 3 let alone 25. But then, if you invite that many all you have to do is open gifts and eat cake because that will take up all the party time.

Alice Childs said...

Amen! As another mother with a child in the same class, I really don't feel there is a need to invite my kid, especially if she's never played with/talked about the birthday child. It's OKAY to just invite a few close friends. All the other kids in the class will understand, because their Moms don't let them invite the whole class either. Also--for the record, I agree that you should be a writer.

Mag Family said...

I posted on this but I guess it was not acceptable enough to be published. So I will try again. I agree with the whole don't invite my child unless he/she has been to your house to play at least twice. Who can really afford to have 25 kids come to your party anyway, I mean it is expensive enough for just the 4 that come to my kids parties. I wouldn't have sent my kid or bought a gift. It is not your problem if nobody shows up and odds are if they invited that many then at least half would have come.

Heather J said...

Note to self, Don't invite Nats kids to parties. J/K. I totally agree.

Heather

Katherine said...

I also haven't entered into that realm. I haven't thrown Ally a party yet(with friends) and I am determined to not do so until she figures out that some people do that! Am I evil? But I do agree.
I think it must be a mixture of both not wanting to offend and also wanting everyone to like their child - so they have a party! :)
I don't know.

haley said...

Well, funny thing, Kamryn got her first "friendly" birthday invite yesterday, for tomorrow!!! First of all, HELLO! You don't invite at 9pm 2 days before the party... no matter how good of friends you are. Second- never played with this kid!!! Ever! Never! So, now I am headed down to Walmart to find a toy for a 5yr old boy that I don't even know and if I don't let her go we will be shuned by the ward (they are that type). ARGHHH! So, I feel your pain and annoyances. Note to self: Only invite close cousins and best friends!!!! And maybe I'm a party pooper... but does a 5 yr old really need a big party? Wouldn't they be just as happy with a trip to McDonalds and a cool birthday cake? Ok- I'm getting off my soap box now...
Bye