Tuesday, June 3, 2008

First Day of Summer - Review

The first day of summer holds a myriad of expectations for children everywhere.  They dream of starting a vacation, beginning swimming lessons, or doing something else of a noteworthy nature.  My children began their summer with the same expectations.  I asked them Sunday night what their expectations for this summer were:
Taylor:  Go to a New York Yankees game.
Torey:  Go to an opera.
Jake:  Go to the mall and get a hot pretzel.
Is it any wonder that he is my favorite?  Done and done!  And so we woke on Monday morning with anticipation hanging heavy in the air.  And then that anticipation was doused with cold, hard reality.  We did some chores, cleaned some rooms, and laid around the house while I paid the bills.  We made dentist appointments, cried about dentist appointments, and then made eye doctor appointments.  We are just trying to get the business end of summer out of the way right off the bat I tell them.  Speaking of bats, we did enjoy a baseball game.  Here are some pictures:

Jake does not have any confidence in our ability to support him so he tried to get a job as the field prep guy.  The chalk dispenser was heavy, the chalk was stubborn, and the job was not at all what it was advertised.
When field prep didn't work out he tried the snack stand.  He brought me some popcorn.  I hope he paid for it because I didn't.  Do not worry, he and Torey both empty their piggy banks before every game and have recently been limited to a $1 spending limit, due to the $8 someone spent on treats last year in one game.  I won't mention names, we all know who it was.
Here is Taylor right before she hit the ball into deep left/center and managed to make a double of it.  I won't lie to you, there was a lot of "woohooing" from the sideline and maybe one tear was shed.  It was amazing and just what she needed.  It fell about six feet from the fence and was the best hit of the night from our team.  Go Taylor!!  Reed and the asst. coach have been working with her and they may have it figured out because she hit every time she got up last night.   She later said it didn't matter anyways because they left her stranded on base.  She is way too hard on herself.

Some will notice that Torey is not in any of these pictures and that is because she views baseball games as a purely social experience and runs off with various friends the second we arrive.  I do not see her until the game is over.  I should be more diligent in keeping track of her, but that would be like trying to trap a hummingbird.

And that, my friends, was our first day.  The second day doesn't hold a lot of promise either.  We are visiting our good friends  at the dentist, going to the bank, the quilt store, and to buy a new phone because my "hot lips" phone has finally given up the ghost.  I will not mourn because that phone has been good to me.  It has been with me since I was nine or ten and has served me well.  Reed never liked that phone.  He is secretly glad it is broken, I know he is.  I'll show him glad when he sees what my new "corded" phone will be.

5 comments:

brinkworth bunch said...

sorry to hear that we have all "grown up" this week. we will morn your phone with you.

Mike, Torie and Boys said...

It was fun to see you the other day and my boys just loved Jake. We will have to get together.
Tell Taylor way to go. She is awesome.

Heather J said...

Way to go Taylor. Sounds like she is the star of the team.

Natilie said...

Why was there not a picture of this phone that I supposedly hate. It truly needs to be viewed for full appreciation.

The Brooks Family said...

I loved your hot lips phone. I'm sorry for any part I played in it's demise.