Saturday, July 5, 2008

And the Rockets Red Glare...

The bombs bursting in air...... Last night we celebrated our nation's independence at Lehi City's fantabulous fireworks display.  The fireworks were marvelous, and we had a wonderful time. I could only venture one complaint, directed to my reader who has some pull with the fireworks display, and that was a wondering of where were all of the salutes?  You know the big bangs.  The really, really loud bangs that I miss in the morning because my husband removed me from my childhood nest.  Where were those?  Can I get an Amen from the audience.  The salutes are the best.  Salutes = a ton of noise, crammed into a small package, with a grand effect on all of the auditory senses, producing a feeling of pride and exhaultation in the participant. Regardless, the rest of the fireworks were beautiful and lasted exactly the right amount of time, so my complaint lacks a lot of umph because they were so good.

For those of you wondering how I took such great pictures of these fireworks I will offer a tutorial.  I turned the dial on my camera to the little moon icon, found the area I wanted to capture in my viewfinder, and pushed the button, thus capturing the image.  That's it.  It was easy peasy.  It was so easy in fact that I took several pictures.  That is the joy of a digital camera.  I am so glad that I have the freedom to take as many pictures as I want.  But that's what the 4th of July is all about, is freedom.
We sat by a delightful group of people at Thanksgiving Point.  We enjoyed the company of my Uncle Max and Aunt Alyson, and my sisters Jammie and Niki and their families.  We talked, laughed, ate Chex Mix, threw snaps, and broke glow sticks.  And then when the fireworks were over, we sat and talked some more, but only because we did not want to get stuck in the traffic madness, it had nothing to do with the company we were enjoying! 
For those of you wondering what we did with the rest of our holiday I will tell you.  We were the happy recipients of an invitation to Lehi's Fireman's breakfast, and then we watched "The Patriot," and then we went to a barbeque at the "new" Lehi park.  And then we went to a barbeque at Reed's parents.  It was a great day, but I am not going to lie to you.  After a week of festivities I am suffering from a "fun hangover."  Turns out, I am not built for a combination of early mornings and late nights.  I think I was aware of this fact but I have recently been suffering from amnesia due to intense sleep deprivation.  This situation will have to be remedied forthwith.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend, I am going to take a nap.  Hopefully.

3 comments:

Caroline said...

I love the pictures of the fireworks. Something that apparently we were not privy to. Must have been a private showing. Actually, just trying to please the kids by doing a few of our own. We will wait for the steel days showing. Glad you had a festive week. I agree that a nap is in order.

The Brooks Family said...

I'm with you on the salutes.. they were missed. Loved the rest of the show though! Thanks for the Chex mix!!

Mag Family said...

I am a little dissapointed that the salutes were missing. But, I did hear at least 9 that morning. Thanks for the fun.