So, yesterday morning I was awakened at 7:59 by the fancy ringing of my new phone and "invited" by this gentleman's wife to come over and help pick beans. "I'll be right over," I say, and after shoving some toast down my kid's throats, we headed off to Grandpa's house where he had two rows of green beans just crying to be picked. We found ourselves some buckets and got started. Grandpa was doubtful that we picked as much as we did in so little time, but after reassuring him that we were very thorough, we found some chairs and sat for a spell.

And then we snapped the beans, and apparently, from what we were told, we did it in record time. At this point I was informed that this entire bucket of green beanie goodness was intended for my very own family. And that is one of the many reasons why I love my Grandpa. He is very thoughtful and always takes care of us.

Here is the kids. I am so thankful for them because they are fantastic helpers and always have the best attitude when helping is involved. I am also thankful for them because they are so obedient, and this saved us all a little heartache yesterday. You'll notice that Grandma is not in these pictures, and that is because at the time the kids and Grandpa were taking pictures, Grandma was in the house having a heart attack.

I am so thankful that I was in the right place at the right time and able to help her. I called 911, called my mom, put her on oxygen, gave her some nitro, talked to a dispatch, called in Grandpa, sent the kids downstairs, and gave the medics info without having a breakdown. Unless you count the one small crying episode in the middle when I was telling their elderly neighbor what was going on. A kindly hug and kiss on the cheek later, and I was set to go back in and finish. I have never had to do anything like that before so I was surprised at the level of calm I was able to maintain throughout the event - minus the few tears outside with the elderly gentlemen whom I don't know, but love nonetheless. It's because he asked me what was going on. If he wouldn't have asked, then I wouldn't have had to say it out loud, therefore admitting there was a problem, which in turn caused some panic, and then some tears. I am much better at repressing when I can't talk. Needless to say, we got Grandma packaged up and to the hospital without the kids ever knowing that there were medics and firemen in the house, sirens outside, and all sorts of mayhem going on upstairs, and all because they were obedient, thus saving them from a life scarring event. Thank goodness.

So in the end, Grandma came home from the hospital (What?!?!), and I got some beans canned. What a crazy day - but I am so thankful that it turned out okay - minus the psychological damage because Grandma violated the sacred and unspoken "not on my watch" agreement that I thought we had in place. I'll talk to her about that later.
5 comments:
Did you do all this last night?? They look beautiful, and it probably worked off a little anxiety, maybe?? Hopefully Grandma continues to do better and she recommits to not let it happen again! Not on your watch anyway. You do have amazing children.
I'd bet Reed was so proud of you for keeping it all together and not panicking, and the kids for being the excellent kids that they are. And then you still put up the beans! You are amazing!!
The beans look good. I am glad you have those so I can mooch when the end of the world comes. I am weirded out by the fact they sent Grandma home also. I think we have a pact, not on my watch too.
What a crazy, scary day. See, maybe some of Reeds skills rubed off on you. I am usually prety calm in those situations too, but when it is someone that I love and care about, my emotions go out the window. Good Job!
Your a good one to have around. I hope one day when I grow beans and call you to come pick them that something goes wrong so you'll be there. I've met your grandma (was it grandma simper?) and she's pretty tough, hope she is recovering well.
Post a Comment