Thursday, July 3, 2008

Celebrating our Country's Freedom...

by enjoying Provo's Freedom Festival.  Today, we awoke at 5:30 a.m. in order to be in Provo by 6:30.  After a quick stop at Harts for some crumb donuts and chocolate milk we were on our way.  We arrived just in time to see all 25 of the hot air balloons preparing to launch.  It was a visual feast for the eyes, and I again wished I had a better camera, but these will have to do.  After sizing up the crowd I asked a very pregnant lady if she would take our picture.  I could outrun her if she decided to take off with my camera, so she was a good choice.  Thank you pregnant lady, I hope things go well with your impending delivery.

Here are the kids.  At this point they are getting slightly annoyed with my photography. Wouldn't it be great if they had a mom who would iron their shirts on occasion?  I think so too. 
The festival was amazing.  It was very relaxing to sit and watch the balloons float above us in the air with the mountains as a backdrop.  It was a breathtaking sight.  Did you know that if you wake up early enough you can watch the sun rise?  Well, you can.  And we did.  And it was beautiful.
Jake enjoyed laying on his blanket and taking in the event.  When he was a baby (1 or 2) he would make me chase all over town in the car following hot air balloons.  He has no memories of this, but enjoyed the event just the same.
Torey wrapped up in her blanket and laid down for much of the time that we were there.  Apparently 5:30 is way too early to get up.
Taylor and I wanted to stay longer, but the other two decided that they had enjoyed all they could possibly enjoy by about 7:30.  So, needless to say we were home by 8:00.
On a side note:  No work was completed at the hospital between the hours of 6:30 and 7:30, at least none of which I was a witness.  This behavior could have gone on longer, but as mentioned above we left.  I am sure they enjoyed themselves as much as we did!

5 comments:

Mag Family said...

It looks like you had a good time. We will have to come and go with you next year. We will make it a new tradition.

Caroline said...

I am hoping for this tomorrow, but since you already went and have fabulous visual documentation I may just sit the kids in front of the screen and say "Happy 4th!" No... I'm still holding out hope.

Charisse said...

Looks like you guys have been having lots of fun lately what with the July 2nd celebration and the various other activities you have been engaged in. I'm glad you are having a good summer so far.

The Brooks Family said...

Looks like a lot of fun.. maybe we can go with you next year as well!

Alice Childs said...

I love the balloons! We haven't been for several years. Thanks for sharing!