Yesterday we celebrated Pioneer Day with my sister and her family on Utah Lake, which no doubt the Pioneers discovered soon after entering the valley. Back then I hear it was white sand beaches and crystal blue water. Oh, to have seen that. We celebrated on their boat by swimming, wake boarding, and water wienering. (Is that a word?) Anyway, we had a great time. And some of the Pioneers came by boat - to California and then over the Sierra Nevada's - so we were not too far off in celebrating our heritage, though all of ours came the other way.

Taylor tried wake boarding several times and did pretty good for her first time. Jake and Torey were content to go on the water "hot dog." They had fun too.

Now for the moronic part of my post. Did you know that my family is relatively fair skinned? We are one shade above "pasty" or "death-like." In fact, every time my aunt visits she asks me if I am feeling okay because "I am just so pale." So, we applied sunblock to everyone at least twice, but that did not prevent a major sunburn for a lot of us - but in random places. Reed and my knees are bright red. Torey and Jake's faces, Torey and Taylor's thighs, and my shoulders and chest - though that was on purpose because I was trying to extend my smokin' hot farmers tan up a little bit. I keep trying to convince myself that one day I will be a bronze goddess, but cold hard reality usually sneaks up and slaps me right in the face, and I am left to suffer in my stupidity for a few days. I am only sorry that the kids will be suffering with me. This girl will not be receiving any "Mother of the Year" awards anytime soon.
Dear kids: I am sorry I was not more thorough with the sunblock. I have learned my lesson - at least where you are concerned. Please lock this memory away deep in your subconscious so you can bring it up in counseling one day and your psychiatrist can blame me for all of your life's problems. That is what I am here for isn't it? Love - Mom.
P.S. We closed out the holiday with an amazing fireworks display at Jeff and Niki's. Thanks guys for a fun day!
2 comments:
It was a great time . Thanks Maggs! The water hotdog was AWESOME!!!!!!
I am glad you could join us on that fine pioneer day. We too, had an awesome time and if someone would email me pics, I could post on my blog. Glad you all had fun, cuz we sure did.
Post a Comment